“Always gonna be another mountain.
Always gonna want to make it move.
Always gonna be an uphill battle.
Sometimes you’re gonna have to lose.
Ain’t about how fast I get there.
Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side.
It’s the climb”
Hiking a mountain is one of the greatest adventures even if it’s just a simple one.
There’s nothing quite like reaching the top of the mountain. The air is cooler. The sky is brighter. You feel like you are on top of the world.
But what about how you got there?
Would the view even be worth anything if you didn’t put any effort into it?
I think the answer is yes. The view is still beautiful. On the mountain you see pictured, there’s an option to ride a sky bucket to the top. But climbing the mountain yourself is invigorating. It’s energizing. It’s an achievement, an accomplishment. It’s inspiring.
When you put effort into something, it makes the end result so much more valuable. The song mentioned above is one of my personal favorites because it’s really not about how fast you get wherever you’re going. Life is a journey. What memories will you make? What legacies will you leave behind? Enjoy the climb. (And take a real climb sometime in your life. You won’t regret it.)
One thing you’ll notice often on this blog are lists. I’m kind of a fanatic when it comes to lists. To do lists, shopping lists, not to do lists. If it can be made into a list, I’ll do it.
Well, once upon a time while reading some blogs, I came across this type of list:
101 goals in 1001 days. I know. It sounds a little crazy. But I’ll be the first to admit that I am slightly crazy. But as Alice in Wonderland says, “You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.” So crazy isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This list helps me to control the crazy some and accomplish some amazing things over the next few years.
Here’s the scoop:
I’m going to set out on a journey to accomplish these 101 goals in 1001 days. You can find the original inspiration here. That gives me about 2.75 years to make these things happen. They are specific things that are absolutely attainable. Why set goals if they can’t be accomplished?
Dreams with deadlines become realities.
My dreams? Some of them are personal. Some are professional. Some are just plain crazy. But they’re all things to make this life an adventure of my very own. So here it goes.
Start Date: October 5, 2016
End Date: July 3, 2019
- Create a personal blog
- Blog about this list over the next 1001 days
- Do all three splits
- Get in shape for summer
- Get a massage
- Master a handstand
- Master a cartwheel
- Organize my closet
- Organize my bookshelf
- Get started with freelance writing
- Write a short story
- Work on a children’s book
- Invest in a new car
- Go to a college football game
- Read 25 books
- Read 5 nonfiction books
- Read and watch the Harry Potter series
- Do volunteer work
- Start a savings for retirement
- Go to a drive in movie
- Spend a summer traveling
- Pay off school loans
- Go apple picking
- Unsubscribe from unwanted emails
- Send 25 handwritten notes
- Create a coffee bar
- Complete the 100 pushup challenge
- Answer the 50 questions that will free your mind
- Write a list of 101 things I’ve already achieved
- Leave 101 post-it notes of encouragement
- Make a list of 101 things I’m grateful for
- Go to an overnight retreat/conference
- Create a budget and stick to it
- Go swing dancing
- Leave a favorite book on a public bench for someone else to enjoy
- Go back to Haiti
- Sponsor a child for Haiti
- Be able to carry on a casual conversation in Creole
- Send someone an unexpected gift
- Write a letter to a favorite author
- Stargaze in a truck bed
- Make a pizza from scratch
- Write a blog post in Spanish
- Take a dance class
- Get a hotel room
- Read a book in a day
- Journal for a month
- Visit Savannah
- Make sushi
- Take a writing retreat
- Create a capsule wardrobe
- Move into my own place
- Do a photo shoot just for fun
- Do a photo challenge
- Try kickboxing
- Take a self-defense class
- Make a list of quotes that inspire me
- Buy a bike
- Enter a writing contest
- Give a sincere compliment/text to someone every day for a month
- Watch fireworks
- Save $5 for each goal completed
- Over $1000 in savings
- Buy a gun
- Get my license to carry
- Leave a 100% tip
- Secret Santa for a needy family
- Take a meal to someone in need
- Try yoga
- Throw someone a surprise party
- Create a crayon art project
- Create a balloon dart paint project
- Go ice skating
- See the nutcracker ballet
- Buy nothing new for one month
- Attend a concert
- Give a homeless person a Christmas present
- Run a 5K
- Run a 10K
- Run a half marathon
- Visit a new coffee shop
- Go to a bonfire
- Grow a tomato plant
- Go to a Christmas concert
- Read a book of poetry
- Make a scarf
- Make a CD or playlist for a friend
- Go on a hike
- Go camping
- Bake something for the fire station
- Write a letter to a soldier
- Explore a cave
- Don’t take money out of savings for two months
- Make a budget and stick to it
- Visit the Smoky Mountains
- Send a post card
- Make a cheesecake from scratch
- Sleep in a hammock
- Do a cover of a song
- Write a song
- Make a new list
So there you have it. Let the adventure begin!